Annika Urm blog: Why is Local Media so important?25-05-2017
Local media provide a special kind of connection with consumers and Local journalism contributes to community integration, represents communities, and helps tie people together, connect residents to their community and to each other. The more dedicated local media a city has, the easier it is for its residents to feel at home, to feel like there is a voice speaking to them.
I have a feeling and awareness how We have Forgotten the Importance of Local Community in Marbella. Actually, I think about big corporates, who don't really appreciate local media. And primary customers are the tourist. Like Nikki Beach cut off all relations with local media 5 years ago and this moment I got no clue on what's happening there. I know more about Nikki Beach in Dubai. What people are telling, quality has been lowered, the place is almost empty, too big and stuff isn't friendly and customers are quite low quality, one comment I heard a Total Tatoo Festival.
Local media is like the blood that keeps the whole body alive as an organism. Here is why:
Why is Local Media important?
- Local Media helps build awareness and share unique perspectives of the Marbella and Costa del Sol. Local news is the connective tissue that makes a town a real city, especially in Marbella. Local media helps communities get to know each other better as part of their identity. Local connects you to the place where you live.
- Local media provide a unique kind of connection with consumers and Local journalism contributes to community integration, represents communities, and helps tie people together, connect residents to their community and each other.
The more dedicated local media in a town is, the easier it is for its residents to feel at home, to feel like there is a voice speaking to them.
- Readers like to hear about current local events from someone who understands this city. Local television, online news, newspapers, magazines, bloggers, and all that stuff that gets people to talk to each other. When the local media is adding value locally by developing a local programme, organising events relevant to the local community, acting as a convener for the discussion of regional issues it should exist.
- Local is a filter. Local is a branch. A local Media journalist lives to be that friendly voice, that personal interpreter, that casual acquaintance, who filters and personalises the national and international Media. They talk to regional and local leaders and most importantly –it is the local media that sounds like the people you know and trust and surround yourself with.
Local Media talk to regional and local leaders. Local Media give local people and businesses the trust and confidence. Green light for national and international media they are stable and reliable.
- The local online news channel is ‘the everyday diary of the hometown’.
Local journalists have chronicled events from the local life present past and future! Highlighted the role of specifically local news media in offering people a ‘sense of place’,
For example, i-Marbella gives some news more value and voice.
- Local newscasts news that's more relevant to viewers. The stories are about people, places, businesses, happenings and events that have a more direct impact on their lives. The people being interviewed or affected are neighbours or friends. Local is important because it pays attention to many more people, in many different ways. Having a local news medium dedicated to covering you and people around you helps mark the identity of the place where you live as somewhere and helps target people there as someone.
Local news is more important than international news. People follow the local news more keenly because they know that it is going to affect them one way or the other.
- Local reporting documents I think local news is imperative, and I want reporters to live in the communities they’re documenting local news channels are often more useful for historical research than national newspapers.
-Local public media stations are like public libraries and local museums in that they preserve culture, educate and engage in building understanding on important issues that are expensive or difficult to cover. Or not attractive for international level.
For this reason, i-Marbella has a new slogan:
i-Marbella BE SEEN, BE VISIBLE i-Marbella.com Be part of Marbella highlights present, past and future!
- Local media help ‘orient’ us towards each other within a shared geography; they mark the weddings, anniversaries, and funerals of those around us as relevant; they provide a standard set of references that goes beyond news to include social events, sports, and the offers of local businesses. Who is who?
- We also know from a growing number of studies that local journalism is genuinely informative. The positive side of this is that people who follow local news find out more about local public affairs
- A long tradition of research has substantiated that the connection between local journalism and the local community is a significant one. Sociologists have shown how local community media channels help people define and maintain neighbourhood identities I quality of local journalism. (meaning this gives image to Marbella)
- International news is actually local news, so it is importance to have them also locally to give it stronger effect and longer history, resonance and marketing effect. For example like some event in Marbella. Then this never will be part of Marbella history and don't matter and don't give any extra images or spice to Marbella city. The International news hardly matters as far as the local community is concerned.
For more than a century, most people in the world have taken the local journalism for granted.
The business models that local newspapers have been based on are under tremendous pressure today as readership is eroding, advertising declining, and overall revenues plummeting. Digital growth has far from made up for what has been lost on the print side of the business. It is very hard to develop a profitable digital business. Freely accessible, advertising-supported online-only local news organisations – the most common form of new local news media – have had a particularly hard time achieving sustainability.
Especially Facebook, Google, and other large digital players are increasingly offering locally targeted forms of advertising, making specifically local media less distinct. As one advertising executive has put it, ‘Local isn’t valuable anymore. Anyone can sell local’. These changes impact local media tremendously and make it a challenge to survive. Both market and non-market forms of online-only local news production have so far struggled to survive.
The digital media environment represents a potential for inspiring new ways of local journalism, but so far few have managed to realise that potential and establish sustainable forms of born-digital local journalism.
It is possible that various forms of distributed information production, sharing, and networked journalism in the future can provide many of the same kinds of things local journalism and local news media organisations.
International and national media will not hold our Marbella city's history in honour if we do not respect it ourselves in Marbella. And I am 100% convinced working together as one we will succeed much better and we all will do good. We should support each other to build better Marbella.
For example, La Plazza at Puente Romano Beach Resort and Spa has ten restaurants and keep developing the project. More restaurants more people. Yes, they are competition but same time bring clients all of them.
Also if you have party or reception pictures from the event, don't hold it only to yourself. More you give them out other medias, websites- better for your business.
This time that you had exclusive news and all come to look it one place are over. Especially like the Facebook LIKE pages:
-you have to pay for likes plus for gallery post.
-People have freedom to look everywhere. And if you are everywhere you are more important and have more value. Especially for tourist who looks places before they come to Marbella.
If the photos are only to your Facebook page, you are already losing WHY:
- 1. Facebook is not your property
- 2. History of this pictures never comes out later in Google. Google doesn't support FB galleries, and they are packed away from more faraway places to keep server optimised.
- 3. One day Facebook can just close your account. And you don't have any material left or you have to buy it back because you have been used for free facebook server and IT solutions.
If you value local businesses, please also remember to appreciate local, professional media. This is just part of the whole blood circulate.
By: Annika Urm
Buy the entire gallery
Málaga Christmas lights are on! @ Malaga November 24th 2017
Marbella CIT XVIII Business Awards November 24 of 2017 at Puente Romano Beach Resort & Spa
Please enter an email!
Please enter your password