Wild Thyme creation by Xusan Teo: GÜEY Restaurant in Nueva Andalucía12-12-2011
The only Güey (pronounced as “way” ) is up as Johnnie Gomez, the part owner and restaurant manager always said and it is true. Yes, this charming restaurant with beautiful terrace and cosy dinning room is on its way up to the top with its great food and friendly services. Besides a wide selection of good wines in the cellar, it also has the largest selection of Tequilas on the shelves.
With my husband Wolfgang Schlesier and friends, Shane Kern and Alia Babapulle, we visited Güey restaurant to taste their new winter menu created by friendly and humble Chef Edmund Cicans. One of their new main dishes such as the Iberian Pork with rusty potato, mini zucchini, and apple chutney, served with cambazola and pistachio sauce was nicely cooked to tenderness and very tasty. New desserts we tried were Green Apple Carpaccio with fried vanilla Ice-cream, as well as Meringue with Bailey’s cream, fresh wild berries and hot chocolate shot; both were beautifully presented and the sweetness on its own just melt in your mouth.
Besides the new dishes, we also tried their signature dishes like the Lobster Salad with Rhode Island dressing and roasted coconut, and the yummy Pumpkin and Coconut Milk Soup with poppy seeds and tiger prawns. The soup was very delicious, with the coconut milk and a pinch of homemade curry that gave a bit of an oriental twist.
As for one of the main, we had the tasty and tender Beef Royal served with Tiger Prawns and Foie Gras. If you prefer fish, try the Turbot fillet served with lime braised fennel and morel in white wine sauce.
Score for Güey Restuarant:
- - Instead of Lobster Salad from GÜEY restaurant, you can always replace it with prawns or crabmeat; have a handful of baby mixed lettuce for each plate, add some cherry tomatoes and shredded fennel if you like, mixed some finely sliced cucumber, colourful peppers and red onion rings into the salad. If you prefer a light and healthy dressing, a homemade fresh herb dressing with tarragon or coriander or basil goes very well with it. Light and delicate. When Salad is mixed, topped it with Prawns or Crabmeat. In addition, advocado or mango is also nice to be added into this salad.
- If you find Iberian Pork more expensive, you can replace it with Pork tenderloin
Contact GÜEY Restaurant:
Plaza de las Orquideas N° 4
Tel: 952 929 250
Wild Thyme creation by Xusan Teo : Pork Tenderloin with Celery and Potato Purée with Madeira sauce
Wild Thyme by Xusan Teo
I love soups in general; one can make an effort to make a proper concentrated broth before adding some fresh ingredients or just make a simple clear or creamy vegetable soup such as potato with leeks, pumpkin, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower or even carrot soup. I guess many of you know already how to cook a simple but yet delicious soup.
Soups are commonly served in soup bowls or deep plates. For a change, you can also serve it in a beautiful glass or a big tea cup to make a different and impress your guests. I also like to serve it too in cocktail parties; Soup in mini glasses and garnishes it with some cream or herbs etc.
One of my favourite Wild Thyme soup dishes for example is the Tiger Prawn Soup top with Prawn Tempura with Almonds.
- - 2 kg of raw Tiger Prawns; peel; them and separate the shells and the prawns
- - Tempura flour
- - Almonds
- - 6 table spoons of tomato paste
- - 2 hands full of cut mixed vegetables such as leeks, celery, carrots
- - 6 big peeled shallots and cut into small chunks
- - 1dl of Dry white wine
- - 1dl of cream
- - 50gm of Butter
- - Flour
1- Fry the shallots with little oil till fragrant
2- Add the shells of the prawns and fry it for 3-4 minutes
3- Add the cut vegetables and fry it for another 3 minutes
4- Add tomato paste, Bay leaves, some Thyme, Tarragon and a pinch of Cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Fry for another minute
5- Add the white wine, stir for a minute, then add 1litre of hot water
6- Let it cook for at least 2 hours on very low fire until the liquid is much reduced
7- After 2 hours, sieve it and keep the liquid aside
8- Now make a thick soup; first fry the butter very gently in a clean pan with some flour, add the fond bit by bit till smooth. Add the cream, thickness to you liking.
9- Add additional salt and pepper to your taste
10- Before serving the soup, quickly deep fry the prawn tempura with almonds and then prepare 1 or 2 prawns on each stick ready
11- You can have the soup served in bowls or cups or glasses, garnish it with the sticks of prawn tempura and/or topped with some warm cream on the soup
Wild Thyme creation by Xusan Teo: Tiger Prawn Soup top with Prawn Tempura with Almonds
- - A delicate soup takes a bit more time and effort. A good fond makes the soup and it is worth it. You can also just boil everything together but the taste and flavour is not as great.
- - Instead of prawn soup you can use the shells of lobster or crab.Or just some big fish heads to make fish soup, or mixed shellfish to make seafood soup.
- - If you like, you can also add a drop of brandy during the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- - You can also replace Tarragon by using Saffron, in fact better.
By: Tene Sommer
Buy the entire gallery
Olivia Valere & Global Gift Foundation Present La Soiree
Eva Longoria dancing along with Descemer Bueno Bailando
Please enter an email!
Please enter your password